Perhaps the greatest pleasure in Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the ability to personalize one's approach to the gaming experience, but that doesn't mean players don't have opinions on some of the more static elements of the game.
Collecting keyword data, Blue Planet Aquarium in the UK analyzed Google searches for every villager, furnishing, houseware and clothing item in Animal Crossing: New Horizons to find out the most (and least) popular villagers among players, most-sought after items, and to understand how players spend time in-game.
Here are a few highlights from the research findings:
- Sassy squirrel villager Marshall is by far the most popular character, beating the next most popular by 81,000 avg. monthly searches – while ‘Lazy’ Horse villager Clyde is the least popular with just 590.
- Regularly topping fan tier lists and spawning numerous memes, Marshal’s amiibo card regularly sells on eBay for £40-85 ($55-110) and he’s exchanged between players for millions of in-game Bells.
- 60% of the top 20 most sought-after characters are female, while 70% of the least popular are male – showing a clear villager preference.
- Cats are the most popular villager species (25% of the top 20), while Frogs are the least popular overall.
- ‘Normal’ and ‘Lazy’ villager personality types are the most popular, while ‘Cranky’, ‘Jock’ and ‘Snooty’ are the least – players prefer a more idyllic, neighbourly island vibe.
Other notable findings in the data include Crowns and Gold Armor as the most sought-after clothing items in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, whereas large statement items like the Rocket (ranked 1st) are among the game's most sought after items. Players spend most of their time adding to the museum (20%) and surprisingly, spend the least time upgrading their households (3%). For a full breakdown of the data set, head to the blog post on Blue Planet Aquarium's official website.
Head to our home page for the latest esports and gaming content.
Find full schedules, brackets, and more for your favorite esports on Juked.gg!