Dec. 9th marked the first day of Season 11. From new cinematics, skin lines, themes, and to the unveiling of the Ruined King, Viego, Riot Games livestreamed a preview of some of the things they planned for 2021.
Below is a summary of some of the things that will be unveiled in Season 11.
Items, ranked play, and Clash
Introduction of new items
- Introduction of Mythic items: Players can only build one mythic item
- Removed old items, introduced others
- Aimed to offer versatility in item builds
- The shop UI has been reworked
- Removed promotion series in divisions
- Demotion protection removed, but still has LP buffering
- Provisional matches rework: Players now start closer to where they finished in the season
- Master/GrandMaster/Challenger tiers are implemented right away: No more 2-week delay at the beginning of the season.
- LP mitigation: Players will lose less LP if there's someone AFK.
- Improvements on free agent system
- Weekday clash tournaments during the season
- First tournament doesn't require ranked
- New interface to have easier visibility on various achievements
Upcoming Champions and VGU Roadmap
Viego, The Ruined King
- 154th champion in League of Legends: No longer just an item (Blade of the Ruined King)
- The next three champions planning to be released in 2021 will be tied to Viego's return and the Ruined King theme.
Newest cinematic called 'Ruination' that unveils Viego, the Ruined King
- More AP fighters are coming to top lane
- New champion that fit the aforementioned theme: Easter egg hidden in the Ruined King game
- The champion after the new skirmisher is a "Gloomy new artillery mage who would prefer if we didn't bother her at all."
- A Yordle champion that hates Bandle City.
- The 3rd champion planned for release: Marksman that are planned for a non-traditional position (like Senna, a "new sentinel of light").
- Dr. Mundo is the next champion due for VGU: Planned release for Spring, new dev blog will be released this week.
- New Player choice VGU poll coming this week:
- Plans to ship 140 skins in 2021
- Fiddlesticks, Tahm Kench, Corki, Camille, Galio, Lulu, Nautilus, Wukong, Nunu, Sejuani, Rumble and Twitch are some of the champions due to receive a new skin in 2021.
- Plans to ship over 140 skins this year.
- In celebration of the upcoming Lunar New Year, a new skin themematic is scheduled to be released in February, called Lunar Beasts.
- "Set in 2057, the year of the Ox, Lunar Beasts is a world where futuristic cityscapes and ancient temples collide."
- Fiora, Jarvan, and Alistar due to receive skins from the event.
Upcoming skin thematics
- 2nd major skin thematic of 2021: Space Groove.
- Player-choice Skin thematic; poll to be held this week.
- New game modes planned for 2021, continue to rotate in pre-existing popular game modes
- The ending of 'Kin of the Stained Blade' cinematic (the Spirit Blossom storyline) will continue on in 'The Ruined King: A League of Legends Story'.
Striving for perfection to achieve excellence in esports
Esports editor and journalist of 10+ years. Lives on black tea and corgi love.