One of the most fun strategies in Dota Underlords has died as of today. Arc Warden, the Primordial Shaman which joined the game as a totally new hero in Valve's standalone adaptation of Dota Auto Chess, has been subject to some quite drastic changes. Rightfully so, by the way.
For those out of the loop: the latest oppressive strategy in Underlords revolved around the shiny shaman's ultimate ability in the game, which summons an exact copy of its host. Yes, that's including its ultimate ability as well. Using Crystal Maidens and ideally a Refresher Orb as well, if you were to obtain one, the board flooded quickly. This lead to hilarious board states where about 50% of the tiles consisted of Arc Wardens by the end of the round, as displayed here:
Now, however, this is no longer possible. Just one copy will be summoned at a time, but there's a fun upside. The ability now costs 0 mana and has no cooldown, giving you an extra unit on the board as long as the original Arc Warden doesn't die.
Robots on the rise
Aside from the nerfs to Arc Warden, Valve is pushing their Inventors a bit more. After the last patch made drastic changes that turned both Tinker and Clockwerk into 3-cost heroes, the Inventor strategy was nowhere to be found anymore. With increased health to both, more armor for Clockwerk and even more buffs to Tinker, it'll be interesting to see if machine madness will become as viable of a strategy as it once was.
Full patch notes:
- We have found more code that caused crashes and told it to behave
- Updated Slark's ability description to match the gameplay - he is not intended to reduce enemy attack speed
- Added Rich Presence when finding a match
- Fixed lack of glow in Roshan's "Vs." image
- Quality of Life and look improvements have been done to the Season Info UI
- Fixed win/lose streak particles sometimes not showing up
- Many particle effects optimizations have been done
- Tweaks to foliage and other visuals on the Path of Sunbreeze custom board
- Fix Thunderhides' ability tooltip referring to Ogre Magi
- Fix an issue where a unit that has two units Tiny Tossed against it in rapid succession would only take damage once
- Fix Warlock alliance not correctly choosing low health units to link to
- Fix Desperate Measures not applying to summons
- Don't allow player interaction while the map is loading
- Units prefer to target heroes rather than summons with their abilities, but if no heroes are available they will still target summons
- Attack Speed changed from [0.59, 0.67, 0.77] to [1.0, 1.0, 1.0]
- Maximum Mana changed from 100 to 0
- Maximum Health changed from [600, 1100, 2650] to [700, 1400, 2800]
- Gold Cost changed from 3 to 4
- Draft Tier changed from 3 to 4
- Tempest Double:
- Cooldown changed from 60 to 0
- Mana Cost changed from 100 to 0
- Now reads: Arc Warden creates a copy of himself with the same health he currently has. The clone can use all of Arc Warden's current items and will attempt to attack the same enemy as his summoner. Whenever this clone dies, Arc Warden will create a new one.
- Armor changed from [5, 7, 10] to [10, 13, 15]
- Maximum Health changed from [800, 1600, 3200] to [950, 1800, 3500]
- Attack Damage Minimum changed from [50, 100, 200] to [75, 150, 300]
- Attack Damage Maximum changed from [60, 120, 240] to [80, 160, 320]
- Attack Speed changed from 0.67 to 0.77
- Armor changed from 10 to 5
- Attack Damage Minimum changed from [50, 100, 225] to [60, 120, 270]
- Attack Damage Maximum changed from [60, 120, 275] to [72, 144, 330]
- Leech Seed:
- Projectile Speed changed from 600 to 800
- Leech Damage and Heal changed from [80, 110, 150] to [100, 150, 200]
- Alliance changed from Human Warrior Savage to Human Hunter Savage
- Lycan's Wolves are Hunter Savages
- Juggernaut Attack Speed changed from 0.91 to [0.91, 1.0, 1.25]
- Juggernaut Min Damage changed from [65, 130, 260] to [65, 140, 280]
- Juggernaut Max Damage changed from [70, 140, 280] to [70, 150, 300]
- Eidolon HP changed from [300, 400, 500] to 300
- Eidolon Max Damage changed from [70, 80, 90] to [60, 70, 80]
- Level 1: Enemies attacking Primordial units have a 25% chance to have their attack speed slowed by 50 each attack. This effect is applied at the start of the attack and lasts for the duration of the attack.
- Level 2: Enemies attacking friendly units have a 25% chance to have their attack speed slowed by 50 each attack. This effect is applied at the start of the attack and lasts for the duration of the attack.
Storyteller by heart. If something is competitive, I am interested in it.