It's been only five days since Dota Underlords hit open beta, but the developers have already pushed out the third patch. This time around Valve is making some general optimization and quality of life changes, but is also trying to balance the meta a bit. Dragons are getting a big buff, while the dominant mages have been hit by nerfs.
There are currently three available dragons in Dota Underlords: Viper, Puck and Dragon Knight. Previously their synergy would automatically trigger all the dragons' ultimate ability right at the start of a round, and you had to have all three dragons on board. Now, when you have only two dragons on board, they will "unlock" a second ability. For Puck this means that, besides Illusory Orb, the Phase Shift ability which renders her immune for 0.5 seconds is available. Dragon Knight breathes fire at first, with his Dragon Form being the unlockable ability, and Viper now has Corrosive Skin to unlock.
On the flipside of the balance table sit the mages. Previously regarded as the strongest strategy, mages' largest offender has been hit: Keeper of the Light. The elderly wizard's Illuminate Ultimate easily wiped out enemy boards when combined with Crystal Maiden to quickly load up the necessary mana. Now, he'll have to wait a bit longer, as he needs 50% mana more to fill up the bar. He also needs a little more protection - his health has been reduced.
Full patch notes:
- Adjustment to the game board: Lighting and Shadow intensity tweaks.
- Sounds from combat occurring on other player's boards can now be heard from yours.
- New opponent selection logic: This addresses the community feedback of fighting the same opponents over and over.
- PC/Mobile: Many performance optimizations.
- Mobile: Fixed storage space calculation when downloading content.
- Fixed unit stats not reflecting all items and equipment when querying before combat started.
- Fixed friendly AI not casting spells after Pudge hooked an enemy.
- Troll Global Item (Coordinated Assault): Now stacks.
- AI will now cast spells on the ground under a target instead of on the target's location. Fixes floating Spells if the target happened to be flying through the air.
- Dragon Alliance: Now requires 2 units.
- Dragon Alliance: Now Unlocks an additional ability for each member of the Alliance.
- Dragon Knight: Breathe Fire is now his base ability.
- Dragon Knight: Dragon Alliance now unlocks Dragon Form.
- Dragon Knight: Hit Points increased to 1000/2000/4000.
- Dragon Knight: Gained +10 Health Regeneration.
- Puck: Dragon Alliance now unlocks Phase Shift.
- Viper: Dragon Alliance now unlocks Corrosive Skin.
- Pocket Sand: Now also slows mana gained on receiving damage by 50%.
- Pocket Sand: Will debuff a random enemy unit within 2 cells if no units are within 1 cell of the assassin landing.
- Keeper of the Light: Illuminate now costs 150 mana.
- Keeper of the Light: Health decreased to 550/1100/2200.
- Desperate Measure: Now also increases mana gained on receving/dealing damage by the same amount as attack damage.
- Wicked Intent: Now also blocks HP regen.
- Scrappy Alliance: Now provides 8 armor and 9 health regeneration. It provides double that amount if your starting army is smaller in size than your opponent's.
- Knight Alliance: Now gives a constant 15/25/35% damage reduction and an additional 20/25/30% when next to another knight.
- Chaos Knight: Damage Increased from [40-110, 80-220, 160-440] to [55-135, 110-240, 200-480].
- Boots of Speed: Now Tranquil Boots. Passive +16 health regen and 100% bonus move speed.
- New Item - Pipe of Insight: +50% Magic Resistance. Once the first enemy has 100% mana, apply a shield that blocks 400 magic damage to allies up to 1 cell away. (once per battle)
- Mobile: Fixed 'Australia' mode - Some Android devices rendered the game upside down, and that has been fixed.
Storyteller by heart. If something is competitive, I am interested in it.