Over the course of the six years Blizzard Entertainment's collectible card game Hearthstone has been around, many new card backs were released. The in-game collectibles, acquired at the end of each monthly season, pre-purchasing an expansion, or completing an achievement, have been one of the ways for players to customize their gameplay experience. And now Blizzard is showing us how they're being made.
In a three-part miniseries, Hearthstone Senior Concept Artist Luke Mancini will go through the motions of creating a new card back. Every now and then, lead FX Artist and development team veteran Hadidjah Chamberlin will chime in to comment on the process and offer even more insight.
The stream schedule is as follows:
Part I: Concept
- When: Monday, May 18 from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. PT
- What to expect: We’ll go through the ideation and rough sketch bit, using 3 potential concepts for the new card back. By the end of the stream, we’ll have committed to our favorite option.
Part II: Progress
- When: Wednesday, May 20 from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. PT
- What to expect: We’ll get the pieces in place to start on our design, fleshing things out with color and hard lines.
Part III: Finalizing
- When: Thursday, May 21 from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. PT
- What to expect: We’ll dot our i’s and cross our t’s and walk through the rest of the finishing touches. By the end of the stream, you will see a final or near-final version of the September Monthly Card Back!
The livestream can be watched on the official Hearthstone Twitch channel.
For more Hearthstone content, head over to our Hearthstone section.
Storyteller by heart. If something is competitive, I am interested in it.