skysolstice

level 5 skysolstice submitted about Apr 29, 2019

Starting Anew: Warcraft III at WCG 2019

Comments 7   |   views 823

WCG and Warcraft III, Sharing the Same History.

Warcraft III has always been one of the biggest highlights of the WCG—from 2003, when Warcraft III was first launched, to 2013, when the WCG was temporarily suspended.
In China, there was even a ‘golden age of Warcraft III,’ a time during which Warcraft III was the country’s most popular game. Given China’s huge population, this was no small feat. The popularity of the game is further underscored by the fact that the Korean e-gamer ‘Moon’ Jang Jae-ho was invited as a torchbearer for the Beijing Olympics.
In addition to its explosive popularity in China, Warcraft III also won many fans all across the world. During its heyday in Korea, Warcraft III was almost as popular among e-sports viewers as StarCraft. There were also many passionate fans and players of Warcraft III in Europe as well.
WCG Gold Medals: China 6, Europe 4, Korea 2
In the past at the WCG, China was always among the strongest players of Warcraft III, but it did not completely dominate the game. At each WCG, the battle for medals was always fierce.
The biggest stars of Warcraft at the WCG were ‘Grubby’ Manuel Schenkhuizen of the Netherlands who won the gold medal in 2004 and 2008 and ‘Sky’ Li Xiaofeng from China who won the gold medal in 2005 and 2006. These two players fought against each other every year at the WCG, and both were eventually elected to the Hall of Fame.

Another great Warcraft player is ‘Moon’ Jang Jae-ho, who won countless trophies, but who failed to take home the Warcraft gold at the WCG. In 2010, another gamer ‘ReMinD’ Kim Sung-sik finally made Korea’s dreams come true by winning the gold for Korea at the WCG.
The WCG was suspended in 2013, and as new e-sport games were released, the popularity of Warcraft III started to wane. However, the Warcraft series still has a huge following in China and has continued to live on through various tournaments.
With the resurrection of the WCG, many expect that Warcraft will also be restored to its former glory.
Preparations Complete

You may be wondering if the Warcraft III tournament will be held once again in 2019? As far as we can tell, the answer is, ‘Of course.’
At the recent 2019 Gamer Developers Conference, NetEase announced the Blizzard Esports plan for China, deciding to offer 5 million yuan (approx. KRW 800 million) as prize money for Warcraft III. This means that in China alone, the prize money will be about 8 times more than the total prize money offered for Warcraft III tournaments in 2018 worldwide.
‘Warcraft III: Reforged,’ slated for release in 2019, aspires to completely revamp the game to meet current trends. Instead of simply improving graphics, the game renews the UI and balance. Blizzard, the game’s developer, has even said that the word ‘reforged’ in the game’s title is meant to express the idea of ‘evolution.’
With the release of the newest game in the Warcraft series, everything will be like new. Blizzard and NetEase have extended their partnership in China through January 2023. This partnership is expected to breathe new life to the Warcraft games, and provide new opportunities for master gamers to gather together to create gaming festivals. Fans are also anxiously awaiting the new release and are ready to flock to the venues where the history of gaming will soon be rewritten.
One of the most exciting things about this partnership, the release of the new game, and the revival of the WCG is that gaming legends from the past will have the chance to prove themselves once more. Gamers from some of the most memorable moments in gaming history will come together once again at the WCG, the biggest and best battleground for Warcraft III.
The Chinese Flag Flutters High and the ‘Moon’ Rises Once Again
Warcraft III is still very popular in China, so China has many high-level players and has the most gamers who will be able to compete for the WCG gold medal in Warcraft. However, the biggest ‘x-factor’ for Warcraft III at the WCG is also the game’s biggest star.
‘Moon’ Jang Jae-ho is one of the greatest legends and rivals, of gamers in China. He is hugely popular and is a symbolic player. He was even invited to run as a torchbearer for the Beijing Olympics, despite the fact that he is Korean and not Chinese.
Moon is now in his mid-30s, but he is still a force to be reckoned with, and he has his eyes set on the gold. People say that recently, Moon’s skills have improved. Moon has passed the exhaustive and difficult Korean preliminaries and is headed toward the WCG Final in Xian, China.

7 Comments

Sort comment by :

level 8 paulvilanoma

I find it very interesting how WCG is so well tied with RTS games. RTS probably being the most difficult and complex of all esports. It's definitely a challenge and extremely exciting to watch. I think it goes to show the kind of appreciation WCG has for not just for games, but some of the hardest and competitive games like WC3 and Starcraft II.

level 2 geraldinofrivia

WCG making a comeback. WC3 making a comeback with Reforged, that can't be a coincidence. I think it's supperr interesting they have this history together. I wonder what Blizzard think of WCG and how much goes into their influence on tournaments like these.

level 5 HanaSong

Feels great to see Moon back in action in WCG. Hope he wins the Gold medal this time. He's been trying for years and it looks like he's never gonna stop until he gets that gold.

level 3 geraldinofrivia

@HanaSong

Well this has to be the event he finally gets the gold at right? I can't imagine the disappointment if he doesn't get gold this year. All of his fans would be in outrage. I know I would be too.

level 3 yoshikoh

Great! My best wishes to Moon to finally end his WCG drought :)

level 2 titanraven

Been following WCG 2019 for a while now and I noticed that moon is quite popular in Warcraft III, does he stream? Want to watch his in-game videos.

level 4 eyas

It made me really happy to see Moon come back into action in WCG, it's a very beautiful news

https://showbox.red/ https://tutuapp.win/ https://mobdro.onl/

Write your comments

Insert Image

Add Quotation

Add Translate Suggestion

Language select